I’ve always said that patience is a virtue I don’t have…but apparently someone begs to differ. Here we are waiting, yet again, in the surgery center of Dell Children’s Hospital. We’ve been here too many times. If you missed the last post, Braxton isn’t having surgery, but he is having several imaging studies that required him to be put completely under so it had to be done in the surgery center.
We arrived at 6:15 am, checked in and did all the registration stuff and did the first round of waiting for a nurse to take us back.
A clinical assistant took us back around 7:30 to get weight and vitals. Braxton is 28.4 pounds! That explains my mom muscles 😉
The radiology tech came in at about 8:00 to go over the tests being done today. He’s having an MRI of the Brain and full spine (which is actually 3 separate MRIs). He told us this part would take about 2 hours in addition to the time for anesthesia to take him back and put him under, place a breathing tube and IV. He’ll have his EEG after the MRIs
The anesthesiologist came in soon after to go over putting him under and to discuss his health history and all that good stuff. And then we waited some more.
A nurse finally came in and said they were ready, but waiting on the ophthalmologist because she had to do an exam and sign off before they put him to sleep. Somehow the doctor didn’t get the memo. They ended up calling her and she reported it would be at least an hour before she could get here. Instead of making us wait, she just cancelled. *sigh* I was actually looking forward to her part because I’m hoping his tear ducts are big enough now for something to be done to help. Unfortunately, that will need to be rescheduled. Another unfortunate part is that we will be back in August sooo she’ll just get moved over a few months.
Finally, after speaking to all the nurses and doctors they took Brax back a little after 8:30 to get started.
Soooo, now here we are…waiting….yet again. If all goes well, we should see him again in about 3 hours. Maybe longer depending on how long the EEG takes. Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes, we will update as we get more information.
// UPDATE //
Well, I thought I’d more updates throughout the morning, but they didn’t call me after each procedure like they normally do. It was about noon that they finally paged us and took us back to a recovery room to see Braxton. As we arrived, the tech was taking off the EEG headwrap and electrodes and Brax was crying. I saw his paci at the foot of the bed and gave it to him and he calmed right down and went back to sleep.
The nurse let us know how he did during the studies and let us know there were no issues with anesthesia. We waited in recovery for a few minutes and then they took us over to a room for further monitoring.
The nurse came in and checked vitals again. They gave us discharge instructions and told us the reports would be sent to our doctors within a few days, so we could get them early next week. We tried to give Brax a little Pedialyte just to see if he was too nauseous from the anesthesia and to see if he would keep it down. Thankfully he did. The nurse removed his IV and told us we were free to go.
We are at home now and I thought for sure Brax would want to take a nap, but apparently that’s just mom. He is crawling around and playing like his normal self. He does sound a little hoarse from being intubated, but he’s doing great. Working on feeding him now, but only half a normal feed for now, just to be sure. I should be able to give him a full feed later today…poor kid, I’m sure he’s starving.
Thank you all again for your prayers and well wishes!